Monday, March 14, 2011

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien


From Barnes and Noble:

Whisked away from his comfortable, unambitious life in his hobbit-hole by Gandalf the wizard and a company of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon.

Well folks, I can check this one off. Boy did it take me forever. There were parts of this book that I found cute, and I liked the little hobbit, but this was no life changer for me. I've heard so much about this book that are just glowing reviews and hints at it being just life changing and wonderful. I didn't see it. I was determined to finish. I was annoyed to have to keep reading. I did not enjoy the rambling through the forest, the talk about all these creatures nor the fighting. I enjoyed the little ramblings going on in Bilbo's head. He vaguely reminds me of Winnie the Pooh. The best thing about this book, to me, is that I can now write it down as one of those things that I've done. UGG, glad to be done...unfortunately that means I have to read Lord of the Rings now...

**Favorite Quote from The Hobbit:
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold (as the hobbits do), it would be a merrier world."
Followed closely by:
"Please don't cook me, kind sirs!"

2 comments:

  1. The first and only time I read this book was during 6th grade reading class...can you believe that? SIXTH grade??
    There was a lot of content and language that was way over my head...I actually remember feeling like some of it was written in a language other than english at points.
    I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings trilogy? whatever it is? (I can't remember how many there are now...haha!), but I have always found these books challenging to read.
    All in all, I think it would be interesting to reread this book now that my mind has matured quite significantly. I heard they are coming out with a movie of it soon so maybe seeing that will help the words come to life and inspire me to reread it! Thanks for taking the time to write this and share - I've been looking for a comprehensive book blog for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This blog is one I've neglected lately! I'm going to jump back on it!
      The Hobbit was really a challenge for me and is the reason that I haven't read the Lord of the Rings. I'm going to do it one day, I am, I am!

      Delete