Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Edge by Catherine Coulter


From Amazon:
"Following the success of The Cove, The Maze, and The Target, Coulter again delights readers with her latest offering, The Edge. Recovering in a D.C. hospital from a Tunisian car bomb accident, FBI agent Ford MacDougal awakens from a violent dream in which his sister Jilly drives off a cliff and into the ocean. Ford feels her fear as well as her anger and agony over the betrayal by someone named Laura, and shares the utter stillness as the frigid waters engulf her. The next morning, he receives the news that Jilly was indeed in a car accident. And when he arrives in Edgerton, Oregon, it quickly becomes obvious that something mysterious and deadly is going on in the quiet, little town. Add a quirky cast of characters, including a sexy, undercover DEA agent named--you guessed it--Laura, a drug that improves sex exponentially but has the unfortunate side effect of making its users psychotic, and you've got all the ingredients for a fast-paced, can't-put-down thriller."
This book was a little different than anything I've never read before. First of all it's pretty rare for me to pick up a book that's in the first person. I'm not really sure why, I just think it's strange. On top of being in the first person, it's from a man's perspective. I cannot say that I recall ever having read a book in the first person by a man.
Surprisingly enough, Coulter did a fantastic job of getting the male perspecitve, in my opinion. She did go off on a few description tangents involving flowers and butterflies that were a wee bit unbelievable though.
The plot to this one was a little bit out there for me. She got a bit nitty gritty with the "sex drug." It was actually kind of disturbing, some of the things that went on.
I'm going to continue with this FBI Thriller series, I just hope she steps back a little from the weirdness of this book.
I will give it a 2ish out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment